- 1A thorny Eurasian shrub which bears white flowers before the leaves appear, followed by astringent blue-black fruits (sloes). Also called sloe.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Prunus spinosa, family Rosaceae
- The planting included oak, ash, crab apple, field maple, hawthorn, blackthorn, privet and dogwood and down by the ponds two areas of willows were planted.
- Shrubs such as hawthorn, field maple, blackthorn, beech, hornbeam and holly make good hedging.
- The dark purple berries, fruit of the blackthorn, are best after the first frosts because they break down more easily.
- 1.1A walking stick or cudgel made from a stem of the blackthorn shrub.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The muscular man carried a sturdy blackthorn cudgel in the field when supervising the emergency men.
- His father re-emerged with a blackthorn stick, looking ready to do vicious battle; but when he saw his opponent, he began to laugh.
- He took his job very seriously, driving couples from the local public houses with his blackthorn stick.
Más definiciones de blackthornDefinición de blackthorn en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.