Definición de blue riband en inglés:
1 (North American blue ribbon) A ribbon of blue silk given to the winner of a competition or as a mark of great distinction.
- Have an adult tally up the votes and make sure your winner gets a blue ribbon!
- Nine-year-old Davey had won and proudly wore a blue ribbon declaring him the winner pinned to his overalls.
- The room was filled with innumerable awards, trophies, blue ribbons, award-winning essays and such.
1.1A badge worn by members of the Order of the Garter.
- Each knight, or lady, also receives the glittering Garter Star and a blue riband bearing a smaller badge called the Lesser George - most of which they keep at home.
- The Lesser George is gold and is situated at the bottom of the blue riband, or sash, worn over the shoulder.
- Charles II. introduced the blue riband.
2 (Blue Riband or Ribbon) A trophy for the ship making the fastest eastward sea crossing of the Atlantic Ocean on a regular commercial voyage.
- Additionally, much to the company's joy, she had also held the Blue Riband for the fastest Atlantic crossing.
- The heavily subsidized SS United States went into mothballs less than 15 years after it seized the coveted Blue Riband for crossing the Atlantic in record time in 1952.
- After the Queen Mary took the Blue Riband in 1936, John Brown's laid down the Queen Elizabeth, patently a troopship as much as a liner.
adjetivo(blue-ribbon) [attributive] North American Volver al principio
1Of the highest quality; first-class: blue-ribbon service
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Hesiod brags of prizes won, the blue-ribbon poem of a pedigree at the county-fair, coarse-woven and straw-capped.
- Between these continuing reports and word of her ballooning figure, I'm beginning to think we treat blue-ribbon cattle better than Hollywood actresses!
- You'll be hailed as the blue-ribbon bistro chef of the backcountry.
2(Of a jury or committee) specially selected.
- After organizing a blue-ribbon committee to protest the fraud and demand a recount, he held massive demonstrations throughout the city and went to court.
- The Alabama Legislature has created a blue-ribbon committee to study the state's health care ‘crisis.’
- The blue-ribbon committee charged with developing a new tax policy for the Internet crashed and burned last week.
Definición de blue riband en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan