Definición de boarder en inglés:
1A person who receives regular meals when staying somewhere, in return for payment or services.
- If you have a lodger, not only is the first £20 disregarded but also 50% of the balance of payment from each boarder where meals are provided.
- The corporation also requests information about savings, investments, and other sources of regular income, such as family support and payments from boarders, flatters, and adult children.
- If he was married, his wife and family might provide meals or other housekeeping services to the boarders for an additional fee.
1.1A pupil who lives in school during term time.
- At 11-plus many pupils become boarders, which adds an exciting dimension to their schooling.
- Stanley was sent to London to became a boarder at University College School in 1850.
- The school, which currently has around 60 per cent day pupils and 40 per cent boarders, has come a long way since being started by sisters from the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary.
2A person who forces their way on to a ship in an attack.
- Suddenly, when he started to push back asylum-seekers like a sea captain repelling boarders, the polls began to turn.
- For seamen, special patterns of musket were introduced and the musketoon, or blunderbuss, became a shipboard weapon useful for discouraging both boarders and putative mutineers.
- The battle would be a succession of hand-to-hand conflicts to board or to repel boarders.
3A person who takes part in a sport using a board, such as surfing or snowboarding: skiing purists say the boarders tear up the snow
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Skiers and boarders are a pretty independent bunch by nature so organising a trip to the mountains is not that difficult.
- Players choose a boarder and skate freestyle in open, interactive 3D environments.
- A few hard-core telemarkers skim the hill; a lone boarder surfs in for a burger; a dozen alpine skiers brave the ungroomed crud.
Definición de boarder en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India