Definición de bogus en inglés:
- Elderly people are being warned to beware of bogus callers following an attempted burglary in Sutton.
- A Downpatrick man was targeted by a bogus caller claiming to want to use his phone.
- She used four fictitious names on bogus loan applications to her company and pocketed the proceeds.
late 18th century (originally US, denoting a machine for making counterfeit money): of unknown origin.
Originally an American word, which first appeared meaning an apparatus for making counterfeit coins. The source could have been tantrabogus, a New England word for any strange-looking apparatus or object that possibly came from tantarabobs, which was brought over by colonists from Devon and meant ‘the devil’ or another dialect name for the devil, Bogey, which gave us bogey (mid 19th century) and bogeyman. In golf a bogey is a score of one stroke over par at a hole. Also American is the modern slang sense of bogus, ‘bad’, which came to a wide audience in the name of the 1991 film comedy Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. It seems to have originated as a term used by young computer hackers in the 1970s for anything useless or incorrect.
- Example sentences
- I took the first four bogusly but blocked the fifth.
- I have written a series of short crime fiction that I refer to as my "bogusly autobiographical life in writer's hell" stories.
- The boss of a company bogusly trading as a chartered architect has been convicted of title abuse and fined.
- Example sentences
- Whoever did this may well be trying to do us all a favor by pointing out the bogusness of the organization.
- In general, what I stated was that the entire pursuit was an opiate, faulty in fundamental respects and smacking of deception, insincerity and bogusness.
- I made my argument about the bogusness of the argument in my last column in The Hill.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.