- Small ropes that are led from the leech of a fore-and-aft sail to pulleys on the mast for temporarily furling it.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- As with the brails and sheets, there is no need to trim the scolaringe.
- For approaches, landings, and getting the sail out of the way while rowing, let go the sheet and haul on the brail.
- It was too late to pause, however, and the sheet was slowly eased off, Jack hauling on the brail at the same time.
verbo[with object] (brail a sail up) Volver al principio
- Furl a sail by hauling on brails.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Large sprit rigs leave the sprit standing, and the sail is furled by brailing it up to the mast and headrope.
- I would haul the mizen up, and the mizen stay-sail down, or brail it up, hard a weather the helm, shiver the mizen top-sail, let go the main and main-top bowlines, ease off the main sheet, the lee main brace, and round in the weather brace.
late Middle English: from Old French braiel, from medieval Latin bracale 'girdle', from braca 'breeches'.
Más definiciones de brailDefinición de brail en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.