- 1A two-masted square-rigged ship, typically having an additional lower fore-and-aft sail on the gaff and a boom to the mainmast.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- One tremendously successful ship design was the two-masted brig of war.
- We sailed out after the brig.
- He arrived in South Australia on his own ship, the brig New Holland.
- 2 • informal A prison, especially on a warship.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I've seen my fair share of brigs and prisons and I've seen them on both sides of the wall.
- A security team lead the prisoners off to the brig.
- You've saved a pirate from the brig, helped him find his hat and now you're talking surgery to him.
early 18th century: abbreviation of brigantine (the original sense).