- 1Giving out or reflecting much light; shining: the sun was dazzlingly bright her bright, dark eyesMás ejemplos en oraciones
shining, light, brilliant, vivid, blazing, dazzling, beaming, intense, glaring; sparkling, flashing, glittering, scintillating, gleaming, glowing, aglow, twinkling, flickering, glistening, shimmering; illuminated, lit, lighted, ablaze, luminous, luminescent, radiant, incandescent, phosphorescent, fluorescent; shiny, lustrous, glossy, sheeny, polished, varnished• literary irradiant, lucent, effulgent, refulgent, fulgent, lucid, glistering, coruscating, lambent, fulgurant, fulgurating, fulgurous
- The cannon twitched, and an intense bright light shone from within the barrel.
- His dark eyes were reflecting the bright flashing lights of the carnival, and he looked like the most adorable puppy.
- Her dark eyes were bright with reflected light, and her cheeks were rosy.
- 1.1Full of light: the rooms are bright and spaciousMás ejemplos en oraciones
- For the first time, she looked innocent, her bright eyes full of light.
- It was bright, full of pretty things, and I was her new prize.
- This house is bright, comfortable and full of character.
- 1.2(Of a period of time) having sunny, cloudless weather: the long, bright days of June
- 1.3(Of colour) vivid and bold: the bright green leavesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They are like cartoons, with their bold lines, bright colours and flat shapes.
- Her hair was weird, though - bright purple and green with blonde streaks.
- Their psychedelic element is heightened by bright, bright colour, like turquoise greens and those hot pinks.
- 1.4Having a vivid colour: a bright tieMás ejemplos en oraciones
- With tailored suits and ties as bright as a skyrocket, he's dapper.
- I must have spotted at least four of five types of palms, not to mention bright flowers and a variety of crotons.
- The Saloon's doors open onto a terrace and wide lawn bordered by bright flowers.
- 2Intelligent and quick-witted: she was amiable, but not very bright a bright ideaMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Intellectually quick-witted and bright, with an abrasive edge, Reid did well in school.
- He's very bright and intelligent and he's, honestly, probably the most wonderful person to look up to.
- The problem he had, he was extremely intelligent, very bright, but he had a face that was just past puberty.
- 3Cheerful and lively: at breakfast she would be persistently bright and chirpy she gave a bright smileMás ejemplos en oraciones
happy, genial, cheerful, cheery, jolly, joyful, glad, merry, sunny, light-hearted, blithe, beaming; vivacious, animated, lively, spirited, high-spirited, exuberant, ebullient, buoyant, effervescent, bubbly, bouncy, perky, chirpy, chipper, zippy, peppy, fresh, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, bright and breezy, full of beans• dated gay
- As Thomas walked, passersby greeted him with a bright smile and a cheerful, ‘Merry Christmas!’
- But she had a bright smile, cheerful face, and an eye for color, so she was excellent at helping out her customers.
- A tall brunette stood behind the front counter in the lobby, giving us a bright, cheerful smile.
- 3.1(Of someone’s future) likely to be successful and happy: these young people have a bright future ahead of themMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I know I'm going to college and that I have a bright future ahead of me - I can already see the light.
- The view of the future was bright, and that prospect made me smile.
- Nowadays, after a glossy makeover, it is a symbol of a thriving European city, facing a bright, optimistic future.
adverbiochiefly • literary Volver al principio
sustantivo(brights) Volver al principio
- 1Bold and vivid colours: a choice of colours from pastels through to brightsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It works efficiently as a basic color and can be worn with pastels or brights as accents.
- Summer brights include red, various shades of pink, sunshine yellows and lots of pastel shades and candy colours.
- The brights were light yellow, almost golden colored.
- 2North American Headlights switched to full beam: he turned the brights on and we drove along the dirt roadMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Getting out of the car, I flipped the brights lever, illuminating the Don.
- Finally, it got too dark to see as even my brights wouldn't show enough of the road to continue on safely.
- Jack finally looked in his rearview mirror, and the woman began flashing her brights at him.
bright and early
- Very early in the morning: if you are up bright and early we will be able to set off in good timeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Morning came bright and early for the two lovers, a little too early for most normal human beings.
- Now, the actor kicked off his campaign bright and early in the morning by hitting the talk shows.
- Our coverage will be bright and early tomorrow morning here in the United States.
(as) bright as a button
- British • informal Intelligently alert and lively: some of them are frail physically but are as bright as a button in their mindsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Gary's bright as a button; he's seven.
- Cole was bright as a button down the left and Babbel in the other direction made things interesting.
- He was as bright as a button, full of humour and with a large dash of devilment thrown in!
- The glamour and excitement of city life: they hankered for the bright lights of the capitalMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Lured by the bright lights of the big city, rural children are ditching a farming lifestyle.
- You know, when I was a kid in Fort Worth I just wanted the bright lights and glamour.
- The attraction of the bright lights of the cities can detract from the demands of study.
look on the bright side
- Be optimistic or cheerful in spite of difficulties: ‘I expect I shall manage,’ she said, determined to look on the bright sideMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He was always the one who looked on the bright side, the optimistic one.
- With so many good things happening, it is so difficult not to look on the bright side, isn't it?
- At first, anti-dam activists looked on the bright side.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The bright blue star on the left and another brightish blue star in the lower left corner form the horns.
- This eclipse is unusual because the Moon itself eclipses, or occults, a brightish star during totality!
- The brightish star just east of Saturn is Regulus, Alpha Leonis, i.e. the brightest star in Leo.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Six brightly coloured tents were pitched in the rich green of the Tirit village.
- As the power generator is turned off the stars shine brightly overhead.
- The works are fun and brightly coloured and will appeal to sons and dads alike.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I was trying madly to slow down and I couldn't, then I saw brightness ahead and knew I was nearing the surface.
- The one great advantage of our remote, rarefied location was the astonishing clarity and brightness of the night sky.
- Great paintings and statues are, so to say, scared of brightness and glare.
Old English beorht, of Germanic origin.