- 1The extreme edge of land before a steep slope or a body or water: the brink of the cliffs at the brink of the pond I hesitatedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- She stood on the brink of a waterfall, the icy cold river rushed about her waist.
- I am now finding myself on a deserted beach on the brink of a saline washout.
- The young brave soon found he was on the brink of a cliff hanging high over a wide river.
- 1.1A point at which something, typically something unwelcome, is about to happen; the verge: the country was on the brink of a constitutional crisis the club has come close to the brink, surviving winding-up ordersMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Yes, this is on the brink of a crisis.
- Indeed, to judge by the level of public awareness, you'd scarcely know we were on the brink of an energy crisis.
- I fear that the world is on the brink of a chronic shortage.
Middle English: of Scandinavian origin.