- 1A fierce verbal attack: he launched a broadside against the economic reformsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In an apparent bid to save the crumbling alliance, the two men met yesterday at an undisclosed venue in Cape Town after firing public broadsides at each other for over a week.
- But Berkovic refused to go without a firing a broadside at O'Neill, claiming the Hoops boss ‘did not even speak’ to the former club record signing.
- He has blown onto the scene in a torrent of invective, firing broadside after broadside at the crumbling bastions of public morality.
- 2 • historical A firing of all the guns from one side of a warship.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- To do this they would have to come up alongside our ships leaving them exposed to a broadside from English cannons on our ships.
- The Monitor proved impervious to the Virginia's broadsides and captured the imaginations of naval officials and the public.
- HMS Duke of York fired 80 broadsides; and the Allied ships fired a total of 2,195 shells during the engagement.
- 2.1The set of guns which can fire on each side of a warship.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Confederate broadsides contained fewer guns with each shot and fewer missiles were launched from the attackers.
- Now within cannon range, the Hurricane and her consorts unmasked their broadsides and hurled a firestorm of plasma cannon fire at the Asp and the remaining corvettes.
- The battleships opened up their broadsides, and half the alien ships were crushed before their element command could react.
- 2.2The side of a ship above the water between the bow and quarter.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Lining up your shot while not giving your foe a chance at your broadside is a challenge, and having the biggest ship doesn't always ensure victory.
- A mere five gun ports open across their broadside.
- Finally… he swooped down, raking the cruiser's starboard broadside with his guns, destroying three of the seven turrets placed there.
- 3A sheet of paper printed on one side only, forming one large page: a broadside of Lee’s farewell addressMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The story was printed as a broadside - a single sheet of paper about 2ft x 3ft - with high-quality paper and elegant typography.
- Randall's first publications in 1965 were literally broadsides - single poems printed on large sheets of paper that sold for fifty cents.
- Most of these were in print and available as broadsides, but that is not the point here: they were ‘traditional’ in the sense of having been in circulation time out of mind, and had not been made up by ballad-mongers between 1800 and 1850.
adverbioVolver al principio
- 1With the side turned in a particular direction: the yacht was drifting broadside to the windMás ejemplos en oraciones
- If they must, they could turn the wagons broadside to the wind and use them for cover, and their felted tents and sleeping sacks would keep them from freezing to death.
- I lowered the rifle and saw that he had stopped and was standing broadside looking at us.
- What makes jack crevalle difficult to land is their tendency while resting to turn broadside to the angler.
- 1.1On the side: her car was hit broadside by another vehicleMás ejemplos en oraciones
- One tank barely ten meters from Blaine had taken a shot full broadside.
- A purplish, long, vaguely cylindrical ship shot up into the air, and rammed him full broadside.
- Really, it was headed west on the Route 30 Interstate and it negotiated a lane change without signaling and it struck me broadside.
verbo[with object] North American Volver al principio
- Collide with the side of (a vehicle): I had to skid my bike sideways to avoid broadsiding herMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Three years ago, in Arlington Heights, Illinois, Police Officer Chuck Tiedge's squad car was broadsided by a hearse that ran a red light.
- This one I missed seeing until it was nearly too late, and as I took evasive action I nearly broadsided another car that I was not even aware was there!
- Caleb Kwan was in a rather serious car accident tonight when his BMW was broadsided by a large truck.
- Sideways on: the ship swung broadside on to the current of the riverMás ejemplos en oraciones
- A Thai coastal patrol boat caught broadside on by the waves had been tumbled over and over and finished hundreds of yards inshore.
- Any cyclist crossing the roundabout from Stockton Lane to Heworth Green is in danger of being hit broadside on.
- She was 135 days out from Tacoma on the west coast of the United States, loaded with grain bound for Falmouth when, in a south-westerly gale, she hit the rock broadside on, her mainyard smashing into the tower.