past (and archaic past participle) of break1.
Having completely run out of money: he went broke owing two million pounds
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Four years ago, my grandmother was on her way to post some money to my sister, a broke single mum.
- Talk of the town is that the way the money is being spent they might be broke by next month.
- It is also true that I have no ideas at all about it and would only have any if I were feeling very broke.
penniless, moneyless, bankrupt, insolvent, poor, poverty-stricken, impoverished, impecunious, penurious, indigent, in penury, needy, destitute, ruined, down and out, without a penny to one's name, without two pennies to rub together
informal stony broke, flat broke, on one's uppers, cleaned out, strapped (for cash), on one's beam-ends, bust, hard up, without a brass farthing, without a bean, without a sou, as poor as a church mouse
British informal skint, without a shot in one's locker
British rhyming slang boracic (lint)
North American informal stone broke, without a red cent
go for broke
- informal Risk everything in an all-out effort: I decided to go for broke and turn professional and see how I got onMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Villa upped their game and went for broke, throwing everything forward in an effort to get back into the match - and it worked.
- Could it be that this enigmatic prince has decided to go for broke and risk avoiding the best bloodline in order to find a new and possibly richer source of equine wealth?
- Recognising the difficulty of defeating the Allies on land, the German leadership decided to go for broke by launching an all-out submarine offensive, regardless of the risk.
if it ain't broke, don't fix it
- informal If something is reasonably successful or effective, there is no need to change or replace it.Oraciones de ejemplo
- And absent some kind of explanation, people may remember an old saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
- Most small businesses, rightly, resist change: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
- I am not a revolutionary, and generally espouse the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school.
Palabras que riman con brokeawoke, bespoke, bloke, choke, cloak, Coke, convoke, croak, evoke, folk, invoke, joke, Koch, moke, oak, okey-doke, poke, provoke, revoke, roque, smoke, soak, soke, spoke, stoke, stony-broke (US stone-broke), stroke, toke, toque, woke, yoke, yolk
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: broke
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda