Definición de broke en inglés:
past (and archaic past participle) of break1.
adjetivo[predicative] informal Volver al principio
Having completely run out of money: he went broke owing two million pounds
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Four years ago, my grandmother was on her way to post some money to my sister, a broke single mum.
- Talk of the town is that the way the money is being spent they might be broke by next month.
- It is also true that I have no ideas at all about it and would only have any if I were feeling very broke.
penniless, moneyless, bankrupt, insolvent, poor, poverty-stricken, impoverished, impecunious, penurious, indigent, in penury, needy, destitute, ruined, down and out, without a penny to one's name, without two pennies to rub together
informal stony broke, flat broke, on one's uppers, cleaned out, strapped (for cash), on one's beam-ends, bust, hard up, without a brass farthing, without a bean, without a sou, as poor as a church mouse
British informal skint, without a shot in one's locker
British rhyming slang boracic (lint)
North American informal stone broke, without a red cent
go for broke
- informal Risk everything in an all-out effort: I decided to go for broke and turn professional and see how I got onMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Villa upped their game and went for broke, throwing everything forward in an effort to get back into the match - and it worked.
- Could it be that this enigmatic prince has decided to go for broke and risk avoiding the best bloodline in order to find a new and possibly richer source of equine wealth?
- Recognising the difficulty of defeating the Allies on land, the German leadership decided to go for broke by launching an all-out submarine offensive, regardless of the risk.
if it ain't broke, don't fix it
- informal If something is reasonably successful or effective, there is no need to change or replace it.Oraciones de ejemplo
- And absent some kind of explanation, people may remember an old saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
- Most small businesses, rightly, resist change: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
- I am not a revolutionary, and generally espouse the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Canadá
Muy popular en Australia