Definición de broken-down en inglés:
1Worn out and dilapidated by age, use, or ill-treatment: a broken-down shack
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He told his driver to stop outside a broken-down shack, where an emaciated woman and two young men sat on a porch surrounded by household debris.
- The gamin creates their ideal in spirit when she takes the most broken-down shack and tries to make it ‘home.’
- He said the side of the stadium which had a broken-down security boundary wall had been replaced and that other areas needing attention would also be sorted out.
1.1(Of a machine or vehicle) not functioning, due to mechanical failure.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Lucy Renwick, from Crisicard, said: ‘A crisis means different things to different people from finding a wasps nest in the attic to getting locked out of the house or being miles away from home in a broken-down vehicle.’
- A Stanway traffic police spokesman said: ‘The traffic congestion had been due to broken-down vehicles.’
- But road safety campaigners and motoring groups expressed concern about the impact on safety, including whether it could become harder to remove broken-down vehicles from lanes.
1.2(Of a horse) with serious damage to the legs, in particular the tendons, caused by excessive strain.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- We witness the love of a trainer for his boss's wife, of a billionaire for the tantrically adept psychic, of a trainer for a broken-down stallion, of a corrupt owner for money, fame and Jesus.
- It had a peculiar gait, being likened by a nineteenth-century naturalist to ‘a broken-down hack in a canter, apparently dragging the hindquarters after it.’
- During the 1930s three broken down men come together with a broken down horse and inspire a nation that things might look bad but the future can be bright.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en Malasia
Muy popular en India
Muy popular en Pakistán