- 1An American tree or shrub related to the horse chestnut, with showy red or white flowers.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Genus Aesculus, family Hippocastanaceae: several species
- Other less prominent tree types included various hickories, other ash species, white oak, black walnut, butternut, basswood, yellow buckeye, elm, black cherry, black gum, and tulip tree.
- Beneath these grow red buckeye, whose clusters of bright red flowers enliven the forest in early spring.
- It sickens nearly two dozen other hosts that range from California buckeye, bay laurel, and bigleaf maple to redwood, some rhododendrons, and even certain blueberry cultivars.
- 1.1The nut of the buckeye.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Paint the cone form green and glue on acorns, small pinecones, buckeyes, or sweetgum balls to decorate it (hold each in place until the glue sets).
- In late September last year, Thomas had a bone spur the size of a buckeye removed from his right ankle, along with reconstructive surgery on his right little toe.
- Once again we are reminded that the buckeye [symbol of the state of Ohio] is a nut, and not just any old nut - a poisonous nut.
- 2 (also buckeye butterfly) An orange and brown New World butterfly with conspicuous eyespots on the wings.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Junonia coenia, subfamily Nymphalinae, family Nymphalidae
- Many lepidopteran species (particularly specialists, such as the buckeye butterfly, which concentrates on species in the family Scrophulariaceae) oviposit directly on the desired host plant due to limited mobility of the larvae.
- He worked with the buckeye butterfly, which has bold bull's-eye spots on its fore and hind wings.
- Gulf fritillaries, buckeyes, and monarchs travel through the greenway on their annual trip to their winter grounds in Mexico.
- 3 (Buckeye) US • informal A native of the state of Ohio.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Our Richard Quest is in that lynchpin state trying to determine precisely what a Buckeye is.
- He is a native Buckeye and began his career in law enforcement with the United States Army. He served as a Military Police Officer from 1968 to 1971.
- If you recall, I am an OH Buckeye born and raised, and so are three of my children.
- 4 (also buckeye coupling) A kind of automatic coupling for railway rolling stock.[named after the Buckeye Steel Castings Company, Columbus, Ohio]Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The conclusion reached was that the use of screw couplings between coaches was inadvisable, and buckeye couplings should be used for push-pull operation.
- The buckeye coupling can be clearly seen on the ‘inner’ end of the wagon.
- They have all welded steel construction of the bodies, Pullman gangways and buckeye couplings.
Más definiciones de buckeyeDefinición de buckeye en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.