An unsophisticated or socially awkward person from the countryside: she thought Tom a bit of a country bumpkin
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Also included in the mix are the two comic country bumpkins, stereotypical toothless hillbillies with their pipes, dilapidated hats, and cargo of farm livestock.
- The Chinese also have a familiar term for what we would call a hick or a country bumpkin, and that is a xiali Ba ren, literally, a ‘villager from Ba.’
- It's funny, but even now in 2002 some people still cling to the idea that we are some bunch of country bumpkins, when the reality is that we are probably as clued up as anyone in Scotland.
yokel, country cousin, rustic, countryman, countrywoman, country dweller, son/daughter of the soil, peasant, provincial; oaf, lout, boor, barbarian
Australian informal bushy
late 16th century: perhaps from Dutch boomken 'little tree' or Middle Dutch bommekijn 'little barrel', used to denote a dumpy person.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Ernie's slow drawl and grounded certainty are a good counter point to Steve's bumpkinish demeanor.
- Despite his slightly bumpkinish exterior, Li is actually a fearsome fighter with his Staff.
- Next, a bumpkinish cop, annoying his dozing partner, is shown playing with his radar gun.