1A mound of rough stones built as a memorial or landmark, typically on a hilltop or skyline.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Elation was to glimpse limp prayer flags and rough cairns with goat horns that marked the pass.
- Now, their pyramid-shaped middens, or mussel-shell dumps, stand along the coastline like memorial cairns.
- Twelve stone cairns decorate the otherwise bare summit of Castle Dow, a tree - clad hill which lies in the clench of the River Tay just south of Grandtully.
1.1A prehistoric burial mound made of stones: a chambered cairn
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Skara Brae is a well-preserved prehistoric village, Maes Howe the best of a series of impressive prehistoric burial cairns, and numerous brochs and settlements attest to the islands' Pictish and Viking periods.
- Caithness is well known to archaeologists for its Neolithic chambered burial cairns.
- South of the fort is a cross-ridge dyke, and in the area traversed by the path there are burial cairns and prehistoric field boundaries.
2 (also cairn terrier) A small terrier of a breed with short legs, a longish body, and a shaggy coat.
Perhaps so named from being used to hunt among cairns
Oraciones de ejemplo
- If the German Shepherd and Doberman stood on top in their numbers, the breeds like the wire-haired fox terrier, smooth-haired fox terrier, cairn terrier and Rhodesian Ridgeback were all loners.
- We had an awesome cairn terrier / Jack Russell mix that was preternaturally intelligent, capable of stunning tricks (including climbing trees), but he wouldn't fetch a stick for any reward.
- Much of the known early history of the cairn terrier, like that of the Skye terrier, centers on the island of Skye.
Late Middle English: from Scottish Gaelic carn.
Palabras que riman con cairnAuvergne, bairn
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: cairn
Definición de cairn en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda