Definición de candle en inglés:
- Light candles and burn oils to create a restful and tranquil environment.
- She produces a lighter and the single candle on the table flickers into life alongside the vase of white flowers
- Winstanley climbed up to the lantern and lit a dozen tallow candles.
- The intensity of a 60-watt lamp is very nearly 60 candles.
- The unit of light intensity in the USA, England and France is the international candle.
- The abscissae give the brilliance measured in international candles per square millimetre.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
- He candled the eggs - checking them against a flame for defects - and took deliveries, but left grammar school with no wish to join the business.
- We found nests during incubation, and estimated the hatching date by candling eggs.
- Eggs were candled to determine incubation stage, and laying dates were calculated by backdating.
- 1be able to hold a candle to
- [with negative] informal Be nearly as good as: nobody in the final could hold a candle to herMás ejemplos en oraciones
- At that time, Ric couldn't hold a candle to what they were doing.
- He dropped out of school at 16 because books couldn't hold a candle to golf and began studying visiting professionals.
- I'd return the favor but you know I couldn't hold a candle to you.
- 2the game's not worth the candle
- The potential advantages to be gained from doing something do not justify the cost or trouble involved: she may decide the game’s not worth the candle and walk away from the discussions they may find that aggressive expansion is not worth the candleMás ejemplos en oraciones
- What Lindsay Anderson called poetic naturalism, or what we're trying to accomplish - dense, indicative realism presented as a collage - is easily dismissed as not worth the candle.
- I've always thought that if you have to work at it and you're not happy, it's not worth the candle.
- Mr Curry reckons that the minor powers on offer to the mini-parliaments are not worth the candle, so people of Yorkshire and elsewhere should vote against it.
- 1candler sustantivo
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Eggs to be examined for hatching success were candled by using a portable candler at both the mid-stage and late-stage of parental incubation to determine embryo developmental stage and viability.
- An egg candler can be purchased, or a flashlight can be used.
- In previous studies of waterfowl, we used field candlers to age embryos in eggs because candlers are a rapid, simple, and accurate method.
Old English candel, from Latin candela, from candere 'be white or glisten'.
Old English candel came from Latin candela, from candere ‘to be white, shine, glisten’ ( compare candid). From the same source comes chandelier (mid 18th century) from Old French chandelier which also gave Middle English chandler, originally a candle maker or seller. A person who cannot hold a candle to someone else is nowhere near as good as them. In the past an assistant might stand next to his superior with a candle to provide light to work by, and so the idea of holding a candle to someone became synonymous with helping them as a subordinate or in a menial way. Not worth the candle originated as a translation of the French phrase le jeu ne vaut pas la chandelle, ‘the game is not worth the candle’. The ‘game’ was a game of cards involving betting, and would not be worth playing if the expense of candles to provide light was more than the expected winnings.
Palabras que riman con candleCoromandel, dandle, Handel, handle, mishandle, Randall, sandal, scandal, vandal
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.