- (Of a fish such as the eel) migrating down rivers to the sea to spawn. The opposite of anadromous.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Anguillid eels are catadromous, meaning that maturing individuals spend most of their lives in estuaries or freshwater but migrate to the ocean to reproduce.
- Anguilla rostrata is a catadromous species that spawns in the Atlantic Ocean and ascends streams and rivers in North and South America.
- Finally, there was a September eel fishery in the rivers that sustained large runs of these catadromous fish, followed by fall hunting for elk and beavers, and by December, ice-fishing for tomcod.
late 19th century: from cata- 'down' + Greek dromos 'running', on the pattern of anadromous.
Más definiciones de catadromousDefinición de catadromous en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.