- Mandated by Common Minimum Programme, the Budget proposes a levy of two per cent cess on income tax, corporation tax, excise duties, customs duties and service tax.
- The Centre today proposed to levy a cess of 2 per cent on income tax, corporation tax, excise and customs duties and service tax to give a boost to primary education in the country.
- I propose to levy a cess of 2 per cent on income tax, corporation tax, excise duties, customs duties and service tax.
late 15th century (denoting the obligation placed on the Irish to supply the Lord Deputy's household and garrison with provisions at prices ‘assessed’ by the government): shortened from the obsolete noun assess 'assessment'.
sustantivo(in phrase bad cess to) chiefly Irish
- And bad cess to those dunderheads who insist the Earth is round, too!
- In the 2004 Presidential election I sat home on my hands and wished bad cess to all the candidates.
- And good riddance and bad cess to him, he said.
mid 19th century (originally Anglo-Irish): perhaps from cess1.