1A building or vault in which corpses or bones are piled.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The elite were often buried in log-lined tombs within the charnel houses, accompanied by a selection of rich grave goods.
- In preparation for his monstrous experiment Victor scours charnel houses, places for vivisection, and graveyards, for parts from which to assemble his New Adam or Modern Prometheus, which is the novel's subtitle.
- The burial rites involved placing the dead person in a charnel house made of wooden posts, burning it, and then constructing a mound over the top.
1.1A place associated with violent death: Europe in the immediate post-war period had become a charnel house
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- If they are now less fond of war, it's because that once battle-happy place has suffered the object lesson of having their continent reduced to a charnel house twice in 30 years.
- Long before those thirty seconds expired, however, the street had become a charnel house.
- Without thought of where he was going, only knowing he had to get away, he ran off down the dirt driveway, away from the main road and the charnel house he had just vacated.
Definición de charnel house en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda