sustantivo (plural checkerberries)
- 1A creeping evergreen North American shrub of the heather family, with spiny scented leaves and waxy white flowers. Also called wintergreen.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Gaultheria procumbens, family Ericaceae
- When this constant lover returned he brought an offering of late May-flowers and bright checkerberries held clumsily in his big hand, and gave them to the only woman he had ever loved.
- The leaves and flowers of Eastern teaberry (also known as checkerberry, boxberry, partridge berry, wintergreen berry, teaberry and mountain tea) have a mildly perfume scented aroma.
- Further north you have service berries or juneberries in the wet woodlands; bearberries on the moors and heaths, checkerberries or wintergreen in the woods and moors, and cranberries in the boggy heaths, which has berries that remain on the plant throughout winter.
- 1.1The edible red fruit of the checkerberry plant.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- These little people, quite recovered from their fatigue, had set about gathering checkerberries, and now came clambering to meet their play-fellows.
- Because checkerberry was once popular for making a tea, another name for it is eastern teaberry.
- She and her younger sister Annie were allowed one April day, by their mother, to go into the woods just before school hours, to gather checkerberries.
late 18th century: from checkers or chequers 'berries of the service tree' (so named from their colour) + berry.
Más definiciones de checkerberryDefinición de checkerberry en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.