- 1Relating to chemistry, or the interactions of substances as studied in chemistry: the chemical composition of the atmosphereMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The third atom can detach from the ozone molecule and reattach to molecules of other substances, changing their chemical composition.
- In its simplest terms, a chemical standard is a substance for which the exact composition is known.
- Elements are materials that cannot be reduced to simpler substances by normal chemical means.
- 1.1Relating to chemicals: chemical treatments for killing fungiMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Just as the sweet smells of fall fill the air, the residents of the housing complex where I live are notified again - for the fourth time this year - of a chemical lawn treatment.
- Councillors have been told that fitting water filtering and chemical treatment would cost £223,000 plus annual running costs of £45,220.
- The hormone treatment is straightforward chemical castration - I am now impotent but it's an advantageous trade-off against a possibly fatal alternative.
- 1.2Relating to or denoting the use of poison gas or other chemicals as weapons of war.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The war that followed saw them employing chemical weapons and both sides firing ballistic missiles at major cities.
- Aside from the nuclear variety of WMD, biological and chemical weapons pose serious dangers.
- In previous wars it took large artillery bombardments to make chemical weapons effective.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- 1A distinct compound or substance, especially one which has been artificially prepared or purified: never mix disinfectant with other chemicalsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- There is often more than one synthetic route for preparing a desired chemical.
- Also, the chemical plant was processing ammonium nitrate, a stable chemical that requires a substantial infusion of energy to explode.
- It stores and processes hundreds of tonnes of toxic and highly inflammable chemicals and compounds.
- 1.1An addictive drug: [as modifier]: chemical dependencyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Scientists continue to explore the remarkable protective effect of nicotine - the addictive chemical in tobacco - on the brain.
- He says he has been clean from heroin for years and now takes a prescribed opiate to combat the pain, but is desperate to get off the addictive chemical.
- It is normally protected from chemicals and drugs by the blood-brain barrier, which acts as a filter.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It powerfully restores and deeply conditions dry, damaged and chemically treated hair giving massive shine.
- It is thought to lower cravings for alcohol in people who have stopped drinking, but it is not exactly clear how it works chemically.
- Many women deal with issues of power and conformity, not to mention chemically taming their hair.
late 16th century: from French chimique or modern Latin chimicus, chymicus, from medieval Latin alchymicus, from alchimia (see alchemy).
Más definiciones de chemicalDefinición de chemical en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.