Definición de chemosynthesis en inglés:
sustantivo[mass noun] Biology
The synthesis of organic compounds by bacteria or other living organisms using energy derived from reactions involving inorganic chemicals, typically in the absence of sunlight. Compare with photosynthesis.
- In the darkness at these depths, chemosynthesis takes the place of photosynthesis - the trapping of energy in sunlight by plants.
- It turned out that at the base of the food chain were bacteria that nourished themselves through a process of chemosynthesis.
- These so-called chemoautotrophs use the stored energy of certain chemicals [usually sulfides such as hydrogen sulfide or iron sulfide (FeS 2)] to drive chemosynthesis.
- Example sentences
- However, mussels from different sites sometimes responded differently to the same environment, suggesting stock-related effects also play a role in the spatial variation observed in the physiology of chemosynthetic fauna.
- Thus, the base of the deep-sea ecosystem's food chain may comprise both chemosynthetic and, probably in small proportion, photosynthetic bacteria.
- Scientists have identified over 300 species of life, including fish, tubeworms, clams, and chemosynthetic bacteria living around these vents.
Definición de chemosynthesis en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan