A cat depicted with a broad fixed grin, as popularized through Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (1865).
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Only his outrage, like the grin of the Cheshire cat, is clear.
- And a gentle trip around Christ Church gives Lewis Carroll fans a treat by re-discovering the real world of Alice and the Cheshire cat.
- The ultimate goal of the Socratic method is for the students to ask their own questions while the teacher does nothing at all, disappearing like the Cheshire cat, with a grin and a wave.
grin like a Cheshire cat
- Have a broad fixed smile on one’s face.Oraciones de ejemplo
- Is he trying not to smile but inside grinning like a Cheshire cat?
- Connor was grinning like a Cheshire cat when I'd finished.
- I could sense that she was probably grinning like a Cheshire cat.
Late 18th century: of unknown origin, but it is said that Cheshire cheeses used to be marked with the face of a smiling cat.
Definición de Cheshire cat en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda