A green pigment, present in all green plants and in cyanobacteria, which is responsible for the absorption of light to provide energy for photosynthesis.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The green colouring comes from chlorophyll, the same pigment that is found in foliage.
- Unlike plants, though, cyanobacteria lack a second kind of chlorophyll, known as chlorophyll b, which in concert with chlorophyll a helps plants capture light.
- Examples of the former are the green chlorophyll pigment in plant leaves and the orange pigment present in carrots, carotene.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- In a previous study, we suggested that once Coffea somatic embryos have developed chlorophyllous cotyledons exhibiting active photosynthesis, they could be successfully cultured photoautotrophically.
- Along the abaxial and adaxial margins of the leaf the subepidermal vascular bundles are interspersed with fibre bundles in the chlorophyllous mesophyll.
- Their roots cover rock surfaces, are chlorophyllous and have extremely short, leafy and floral shoots scattered on their dorsal surface; they play major roles in adherence, photosynthesis, organogenesis and reproduction.
Early 19th century: coined in French from Greek khlōros 'green' + phullon 'leaf'.
Definición de chlorophyll en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda