Definición de cogent en inglés:
(Of an argument or case) clear, logical, and convincing: they put forward cogent arguments for British membership the newspaper’s lawyers must prepare a cogent appeal
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Given the scope of Internet use by the general public, this is no longer a relevant or cogent argument.
- The judge rejected that argument in a cogent and wholly convincing judgment.
- There are a number of cogent arguments against fur that do not require descending into this kind of bigoted sophism.
impressive, persuasive, irresistible, eloquent, credible, influential, conclusive, unanswerable, authoritative;
logical, reasoned, well reasoned, rational, reasonable, lucid, coherent, well organized, systematic, orderly, methodical, clear, articulate, consistent, relevant
mid 17th century: from Latin cogent- 'compelling', from the verb cogere, from co- 'together' + agere 'drive'.
- Example sentences
- The author cogently notes that these aims are contradictory - sympathy tends to unify the public; criticism divides it.
- As he has cogently argued, there are also strong voices in the administration urging military action.
- Although aware that the next budget will be an election one, the economists argue strongly and cogently for a fiscal tightening of about 0.5% of GDP.