Definición de colchicum en inglés:
sustantivo (plural colchicums)
- Genus Colchicum, family Liliaceae
- You also can plant squirrel-proof bulbs like daffodils and colchicums.
- There are two different types of fall blooming bulbs, colchicums and crocus.
- On warm nights they have begun nibbling the freshly emerging foliage of my autumn-flowering colchicums.
pheasant from (Middle English):
An old name for the river Rion in Georgia in southeast Europe was the Phasis. The Greeks believed that the pheasant originated in that region before it spread westwards, and called it the ‘bird of Phasis’. The region the Phasis flowed through was called Colchis by the Greeks, which was also said to be the land of the Golden Fleece. The modern Latin name for the common pheasant is still Phasianus colchicus ‘the pheasant of Colchis’. The variety of autumn-flowering crocus called a colchicum, gets its name from the same place. It was said by ancient authors to be particularly common there, and the poison that comes from it is said to have been used by the legendary Colchican witch Medea, who helped Jason win the Golden Fleece.
Definición de colchicum en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.