sustantivo (plural colostomies)
- 1A surgical operation in which the colon is shortened to remove a damaged part and the cut end diverted to an opening in the abdominal wall: he underwent a colostomyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- A colostomy diverts stool into an appliance attached to the skin, thereby eliminating leakage of stool from the rectum.
- A colostomy involves diverting the route of the bowel through a hole in the abdomen, with a bag to collect the faeces.
- A long segment of sigmoid colon was resected, and a temporary colostomy was performed.
- 1.1An opening so formed: [as modifier]: a colostomy bagMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The nurse gives dietary advice to minimise bowel problems and looks after the care of the colostomy opening on the abdominal wall, together with the health of the surrounding skin to which the colostomy bag is attached.
- The cavity is irrigated daily with mild antiseptic solution, and drainage from the tubes can be collected in a colostomy bag.
- The specialists even wanted to operate and give me a colostomy bag.
late 19th century: from colon2 + Greek stoma 'mouth'.
Más definiciones de colostomyDefinición de colostomy en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.