- Particularly lacking in a food desert are fresh comestibles: all food available is processed or precooked, full of salt and the worst kind of fat, and lacking in vital ingredients.
- Six of Edmonton's most scrumptious purveyors of comestibles along with a dessert and scotch supplier will donate some of their best wares to the event.
- Now go all the way - check out their desserts and other comestibles.
- Women could point out the medicinal and comestible plants with which they are particularly familiar.
- When the microwaved frozen produce of pizza and pasta chains is the height of culinary standards, as it is for many, we should hang our heads in comestible shame.
- We were about to help celebrate the falling of one of the last, and among the most storied, comestible taboos in our European culture.
eat from Old English:
For such a fundamental concept, it is unsurprising that eat is an Old English word, with an ancient root shared by Latin edere ‘to eat’. This is the source not only of edible (late 16th century), but also comestible (Late Middle English) ‘something edible’, edacious (early 19th century), a rare word for ‘greedy’, and obese (mid 17th century) from obedere ‘eat completely’. There are many phrases associated with eating. Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die is a combination of two Biblical sayings, ‘A man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat and to drink, and to be merry’ (Ecclesiastes) and ‘Let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we shall die’ (Isaiah). You are what you eat is a proverb that first appeared in English in the 1920s. It is a translation of the German phrase Der Mensch ist, was er isst, ‘Man is what he eats’, which was said by the philosopher Ludwig Feuerbach (1804–72). If you eat your heart out you suffer from excessive longing or grief. As eat your own heart the phrase was first used in Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene (1596): ‘He could not rest; but did his stout heart eat.’ See also fret
Palabras que riman con comestibledigestible, suggestible
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.