- 1A person appointed to a role on or by a commission.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The traffic commissioner's office, once located in Talbot Road, Old Trafford, was moved to Yorkshire in 1997.
- I will be most interested to see what role the commissioners will be carrying out.
- The commissioner's role will be to receive and process complaints about judges, to identify those requiring a full investigation because they raise a question of removal of a judge.
- 1.1A representative of the supreme authority in an area.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The high court has ordered that deputy commissioners and local authorities should not permit land conversion and construction without sanction of the metropolitan planning authorities.
- The commissioners were official representatives who were supposed to explain why their state had seceded and encourage similar action from their audiences.
- He added that matter would be further discussed at the next joint meeting of the township commissioners and sewage authority at 4 p.m.
- 1.2The head of the Metropolitan Police in London.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The commissioner of London's Metropolitan police force says more than 30 per cent of robberies and muggings involve mobile phones.
- But since his wife, Desdemona, confesses straight away to the Metropolitan commissioner of police that she murdered her husband, there is not much in the way of narrative suspense.
- Britain's top policeman, the Metropolitan Police commissioner, has warned an attack in London is both imminent and inevitable.
- 1.3North American A person appointed to regulate a particular sport: a baseball commissionerMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He contends that in a misguided effort to promote baseball, the commissioner and owners have bent their sport out of shape.
- Then, on his way to his office at Milwaukee's County Stadium, the baseball commissioner stopped to do a family errand.
- Compared with commissioners in other pro sports who are hired by team owners, he has considerably more power in regard to competition.
late Middle English: from medieval Latin commissionarius, from Latin commissio (see commission).
Más definiciones de commissionerDefinición de commissioner en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.