- It was expected that a gentleman would pay a polite compliment to a lady of his acquaintance, but quite another matter to be seen to mean it.
- I received a look of awkward horror followed by some hasty compliments, an expression of surprise and the insistence that it was ‘very competitive’.
- If you have decided to be a strand style setter, enjoy the challenges, the hard work and the ultimate compliments and admiration for a style well designed.
- Now that's actually a compliment to Gehry, but it still implies that the bridge was on obstacle, rather than being something interesting to work with.
- It's not only good karma and a nice thing to do - it's a compliment to the manager that you respect and appreciate his staff.
- This was meant to be a compliment to him, and to wish him well in his retirement.
- And I don't think a little thing like it being my native language should stop people from complimenting me on it.
- ‘People are complimenting us a lot on our beer at the moment,’ he states.
- People have been complimenting her on her new toned look and Fiona is already feeling the many physical benefits of being in better shape.
- I have heard tourists compliment it and couldn't help but feel proud.
- It seriously means a lot to me to hear you compliment my writing so much.
- A mere two saves for the game shows the already awesome defence that the team has to compliment the established offence.
compliments of the season
- Used as a seasonal greeting at Christmas or the New Year.Oraciones de ejemplo
- She thanked everyone for providing such lovely entertainment and wished everyone the compliments of the season.
- I stood in the queue, paid this so-called tax and received a small envelope containing compliments of the season from friends in Johannesburg.
- Robyn and I wish you all in Richmond Valley the compliments of the season.
pay one's compliments
- Send or express formal greetings: a gentleman stopped, eager to pay his complimentsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- A sizable crowd turned out in glorious weather conditions to pay their compliments to the small band of volunteers who had seen the six-year project bear fruit.
- When the gun carriage itself comes past we will present arms to pay our compliments to the Queen Mother and other members of the Royal Family travelling behind the coffin.
return the compliment
- 3.1Retaliate or respond in kind: she eyed me warily, and I returned the complimentMás ejemplos en oraciones
- There's no chance of them doing me any favours, so I have every intention of returning the compliment if I get the chance.
- At the welcome party local schoolchildren performed a concert much to the appreciation of the Bolivians, who in turn returned the compliment by performing a number of musical pieces.
- I was invited to their school and I returned the compliment by inviting them to the Commons.
with one's compliments
- Used to express the fact that what one is giving is free: all drinks will be supplied with our complimentsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Please accept this free copy of The Word Among Us magazine with my compliments.
- We were very sorry to hear about the theft and we were happy to give them a replacement with our compliments and hope that they have a very merry Christmas.
- The winner will receive, with our compliments, an incredible week-long holiday in a luxury villa in sunkissed Marbella.
Mid 17th century: from French compliment (noun), complimenter (verb), from Italian complimento 'fulfilment of the requirements of courtesy', from Latin complementum 'completion, fulfilment' (reflected in the earlier English spelling complement, gradually replaced by the French form between 1655 and 1715).
complete from Late Middle English:
Complete comes from Latin complere ‘fill up, finish, fulfil’. This is also the source of comply (late 16th century) originally to fulfil an obligation; and of compliment (mid 17th century) from Italian complimento ‘fulfilment of the requirements of courtesy’; and its confusing partner complement (Late Middle English), something which contributes additional or contrasting features.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.