- 1The action of compressing or being compressed.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Lossless data compression is used for data that must not be changed even a single bit.
- Metastatic disease in the lumbar area can cause spinal cord compression.
- The added bonus of lossless audio compression is a boon for people who have good speakers and good ears.
- 1.1The reduction in volume (causing an increase in pressure) of the fuel mixture in an internal-combustion engine before ignition.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The high temperature of the air, caused by the extreme compression, ignites the fuel.
- Now all you hear is the high pitched whine of the diesel engine in high compression.
- The variable-geometry turbocharger ensures plenty of compression when needed.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In general, the attainment of peak pressure conditions in compressional systems such as the Delamerian Orogeny reflects the effects of crustal thickening.
- Intraplate compressional stresses resulting from ‘ridge push’ have been suggested by some workers to explain the Neogene uplift of Scandinavia.
- Like the Northwest Flank Fault, the Bala Fault was reactivated during Cretaceous and Neogene inversion with compressional strain restricted mainly to right-stepping jogs along the fault.
late Middle English: via Old French from Latin compressio(n-), from comprimere 'press together' (see compress).
Más definiciones de compressionDefinición de compression en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.