- 1The junction of two rivers, especially rivers of approximately equal width: the confluence of the Rivers Ouse and Foss farther down the Tigris at its confluence with the EuphratesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They are strategically positioned on mountainsides, on the confluence of two rivers or overlooking valley entrances.
- From the citadel the impregnability of Ani's site is even more striking: on a peninsula at the confluence of two rivers, only one side of the city was accessible by land.
- Today the adit can still be seen at the confluence of the Uncompahgre River and Canyon Creek, at the base of Oak Street on the southwest side of Ouray.
- 1.1An act or process of merging: a major confluence of the world’s financial marketsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The current shortage is the result of a confluence of three major factors.
- There is a strange confluence in smoking between social acceptability and the physiological addictiveness of the nicotine itself.
- But the bigger reason behind this bundle of contradictions is a confluence of technological shifts.
late Middle English: from late Latin confluentia, from Latin confluere 'flow together' (see confluent).