- A tree which bears cones and needle-like or scale-like leaves that are typically evergreen. Conifers are of major importance as the source of softwood, and also supply resins and turpentine.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Order Coniferales, class Coniferopsida, subdivision Gymnospermae: several families, including the pines and firs (Pinaceae) and the cypresses (Cupressaceae)
- Evergreen trees, including many conifers, support more leaf area than deciduous trees in the same environment.
- They do not need a wall and are happy to scramble over heathers, conifers, trees or hedges.
- Gymnosperms, including conifers, gingkoes, and cycads, were very numerous, as were ferns and horsetails.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Those structures that incorporated white oak were also the only residences that incorporated coniferous woods, red cedar, and bald cypress.
- In Washington, they are generally found in mature Ponderosa pine, Douglas fir, or mixed coniferous forests with a thick understory.
- Mountain Chickadees are typically found in dry coniferous forests, especially Ponderosa and lodgepole pines.
mid 19th century: from Latin, literally 'cone-bearing', from conus (see cone).
Más definiciones de coniferDefinición de conifer en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.