- Sea power's dominance, however, has been a point of contention among military historians.
- Another area of much contention is the desired level of channel control sought by the manufacturer.
- The basis for this contention among British doctors seems even more tenuous.
- I am not saying you do not have arguments against the contentions the applicant would wish to make.
- But to this point, the administration has offered few direct answers to the particular contentions of the critics.
- We say that if it is necessary, the second respondent in its argument has raised a contention.
in (or out of) contention
- Having (or not having) a good chance of success in a contest: three penalties kept the team firmly in contention Heather’s error in the race put her out of contentionMás ejemplos en oraciones
in competition, competing, contesting, contending, challenging, vying;striving, struggling, tussling, grappling, battling, fighting, warring
- I have a lot more confidence that, if I just play my game, I'll have a chance to be in contention on the weekend.
- It was nice to get back there again and be in contention with a chance to win coming up the back nine on Sunday.
- So players who did not turn up for training with the County team ruled themselves out of contention.
Late Middle English: from Latin contentio(n-), from contendere 'strive with' (see contend).
comes from Latin contendere ‘strive with’. Contender (mid 16th century) was originally a fighter rather than a competitor, a sense immortalized in I could have been a contender, spoken by Marlon Brando in the 1954 film On the Waterfront.
Palabras que riman con contentionabstention, apprehension, ascension, attention, circumvention, comprehension, condescension, contravention, convention, declension, detention, dimension, dissension, extension, gentian, hypertension, hypotension, intention, intervention, invention, mention, misapprehension, obtention, pension, prehension, prevention, recension, retention, subvention, supervention, suspension, tension
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: con|ten|tion
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.