sustantivo (plural counties)
- 1A territorial division of some countries, forming the chief unit of local administration: one of the most attractive towns in the county [as modifier]: administration at county levelMás ejemplos en oraciones
- England is also a culture of many smaller regionalisms, still centered on the old governmental unit of the county and the local villages and towns.
- But he claimed highways chiefs from the county's local councils had been insistent that the 11 additional sites were needed now.
- Residents will have the chance to express their views and concerns about local policing to the county's chief constable in a live webchat next week.
- 1.1British A sporting team playing for a county: it is the county’s third final in four yearsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He was the leading scorer for his county despite his team finishing last in the championships.
- He used to play hockey for a national league team and his county but nowadays he runs to keep fit.
- The county's governing body is launching a veterans' league, mainly consisting of semi-professionals who are beyond their sell-by date.
- 1.2US A political and administrative division of a state.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- His spending blazed a new path through the county's usual political circuit.
- Meanwhile, the man and his family have retaliated against the county and its political system.
- The county has a political structure that has pushed for integrated housing and public facilities.
- 1.3 [as modifier] British Relating to or characteristic of aristocratic people with an ancestral home in a particular county: a county grande dameMás ejemplos en oracionesSinónimoslandowning, landed, upper-class, well born, high-born, noble-born, noble, aristocratic, patrician, titled, blue-blooded, born with a silver spoon in one's mouth; British upmarket• archaic gentle, of gentle birth
Middle English: from Old French conte, from Latin comitatus, from comes, comit- (see count2). The word seems first to have denoted a periodical meeting held to transact shire business.