- 1Two people or things of the same sort considered together: a couple of girls were playing marblesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Fish were making their presence felt in every pool, including a couple of double figured salmon.
- As the title suggests, this unlikely duo plays a couple of struggling actors.
- 1.1A pair of partners in a dance or game.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In the case of pair skaters and ice dance couples, one of the two individuals must fulfill the same requirement as for a singles skater.
- Lucky couples on the dance floor walked away with more than a dozen prizes during the course of the night.
- The couple danced many classical roles together, as well as pas de deux that Nixon choreographed.
- 2 [treated as singular or plural] Two people who are married or otherwise closely associated romantically or sexually: in three weeks the couple fell in love and became engaged a honeymoon coupleMás ejemplos en oraciones
- When we had left the hotel, I had felt like we were a married couple on our honeymoon.
- Congratulations are extended to the newly married couple and their families.
- I mean when you think about it, we really are like this old married couple.
- 3 • informal An indefinite small number: [as pronoun]: he hoped she’d be better in a couple of days we got some eggs—would you like a couple? [as determiner]: just a couple more questions North American clean the stains with a couple squirts dishwashing liquidMás ejemplos en oraciones
- But you seem to have asked the question a couple of times, and I am a bit puzzled by that.
- Jim gave his regulator a couple of squirts on the purge button to reassure himself that his air was turned on.
- That question has a couple of answers, starting with the fact that they do go bankrupt a lot.
verboVolver al principio
- 1 [with object] Link or combine (something) with something else: a sense of hope is coupled with a palpable sense of lossMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They work in fixed teams, where know-how is coupled with team work to provide the best possible service.
- The frequent power cuts have also compounded the problems for them and when it is coupled with the steep hike in prices, people feel that they have been caught between devil and deep sea.
- The roots of jazz date back to around the 1890s when a blend of African music from the slaves on the plantations was coupled with European-American musical traditions.
- 1.1Connect (a railway vehicle or a piece of equipment) to another: a cable is coupled up to one of the wheelsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This done, the brand-new C&O dynamometer car was coupled on, and the tests began in May 1929.
- When two cars are coupled together there is a two or three scale foot gap between the diaphragms.
- The faster journeys would be achieved by cutting the number of times that trains have to be coupled and decoupled, a job that can take precious minutes.
- 1.2Connect (two electrical components) using electromagnetic induction, electrostatic charge, or an optical link: (as adjective coupled) networks of coupled oscillatorsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- These components are coupled into single mode optical fibers and detected by photodiodes.
- The passive antenna elements are coupled to selectable impedance components.
- At least two of the first plurality of circuit boards may be coupled to independently distribute power to each of the plurality of switch circuit boards.
- 1.3 [no object] (couple up) Join to form a pair: the beetles may couple up to form a pairMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Why is everyone coupling up and heading off to get naked?
- I was crying every day, I was calling in sick to work and I couldn't face meeting up with my friends who were all blissfully coupled up.
- Aimed at singletons and those who are happily coupled up but want to meet new people, the night is a cross between speed-dating and a book club, aimed at those in their 20s to 40s.
- 2 [no object] Mate or have sexual intercourse: as middle-class youth grew more tolerant of sex, they started to couple more oftenMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In the city of a million hovels, a million lovers coupled to the signs of the seasons.
- When a courted female permits mating, the pair remain coupled, end to end, for many hours, even a day.
- Then, when they coupled, he felt his very bones melting within his body.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Consider, for instance, the endless regulations and interdictions that provide the texture of domestic coupledom.
- Nobody really wants to hear about what happens after ‘Happy Ever After’ came - and for me, I settled into coupledom at 20 and have been there ever since.
- Having the notion of happy coupledom shoved down our throats at every turn during the weeks preceding Valentine's Day is a turn off to many.