Definición de coverture en inglés:
1 [mass noun] literary Protective or concealing covering.
- With a lucid discussion of the constraints of coverture, Cott undercuts such symbolism and outlines the ironies which underlay.
- Secondly, it allows us to view a world beyond coverture and crime which has consumed so much scholarly energy in recent years.
- They attacked suddenly and skilfully using natural covertures, destroy our positions one after another by the direct fire.
2 Law , historical The legal status of a married woman, considered to be under her husband’s protection and authority.
- A husband could make a special legal claim under coverture if his wife was injured in an accident.
- Under coverture a married woman could not sue or be sued unless her husband was party to the suit.
- Feminist reformers also challenged coverture by invoking equality.
Middle English (originally denoting a coverlet or garment): from Old French, from covrir 'to cover'.
Definición de coverture en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan