sustantivo (plural cowries)
- 1A marine mollusc which has a glossy, brightly patterned domed shell with a long, narrow opening.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Genus Cypraea, family Cypraeidae, class Gastropoda: numerous species, including the small money cowrie (C. moneta)
- We found tiny cowries on the soft corals and red spider crabs on the fans.
- These include Vasum, some photine buccinids, and some cypraeid cowries.
- Here butterfish can be seen feeding on mussels, and cowries are also in evidence.
- 1.1The flattened yellowish shell of the money cowrie, formerly used as money in parts of Africa and the Indo-Pacific area.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Jabali said, ‘I don't have a single cowrie - and even if I had I wouldn't give it.‘
- The article explains how cowries were exchanged for slaves and how East African gold entered Indian Ocean circuits.
- Almost all of the RAC's cowries went to the Slave Coast, with few arriving at any other destination.
mid 17th century: from Hindi kauṛī.
Más definiciones de cowrieDefinición de cowrie en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.