Definición de cowrie en inglés:
sustantivo (plural cowries)
1A marine mollusc which has a glossy, brightly patterned domed shell with a long, narrow opening.
- Genus Cypraea, family Cypraeidae, class Gastropoda: numerous species, including the small money cowrie (C. moneta)
- We found tiny cowries on the soft corals and red spider crabs on the fans.
- These include Vasum, some photine buccinids, and some cypraeid cowries.
- Here butterfish can be seen feeding on mussels, and cowries are also in evidence.
1.1The flattened yellowish shell of the money cowrie, formerly used as money in parts of Africa and the Indo-Pacific area.
- Jabali said, ‘I don't have a single cowrie - and even if I had I wouldn't give it.‘
- The article explains how cowries were exchanged for slaves and how East African gold entered Indian Ocean circuits.
- Almost all of the RAC's cowries went to the Slave Coast, with few arriving at any other destination.
mid 17th century: from Hindi kauṛī.
Definición de cowrie en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan