Definición de crayfish en inglés:
sustantivo (plural igual or crayfishes)
- Several genera in the infraorder Astacidea, class Malacostraca, including Astacus of Europe and Cambarus of North America
- Land crabs, river crayfish, opossum, agouti, and fish are caught where available.
- As we clambered through the breakdown above the stream we saw several crayfish, which had apparently been washed in by the storm earlier in the week.
- It escaped, of course, like all imports do, and is now wiping out the much smaller native crayfish in the rushing streams of the Yorkshire Dales.
- Lobsters, crabs, prawns, bay bugs, freshwater and marine crayfish all belong to the phylum Arthropoda, the group which also contains insects.
- He pointed to recent archaeological investigations which indicated that Maori had overexploited resources such as seals, marine crayfish and birds of several varieties.
- The Palinuridae family includes the commercially exploited crustaceans of Australia that are known as rock lobsters, spiny crayfish and marine crayfish.
A crayfish is not a fish but a freshwater crustacean that looks like a small lobster. Its name came into medieval English from Old French crevice, and was probably related to crab (although not to crevice (Middle English), which is from Old French crever, ‘to burst or split’). The spelling was altered in the 16th century simply because people thought that it made more sense: it lives in water, so it must be a fish.
Palabras que riman con crayfishwaifish
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.