Definición de cripple en inglés:
- A young man crippled by a disease of old age may not get the operation he and his family have been hoping and praying for over the last year.
- When she was too crippled to walk more than a few steps, she still spread her husband's shirts out on the kitchen table and ironed them.
- But he refuses to allow his children to be immunised against the disease that crippled him three decades ago.
- Qualitatively, the Iraqi military machine is crippled, with no spare parts for its ancient equipment.
- However, it was modified to accept an electron bolt gun, giving it the ability to disable (/ cripple / damage) much larger ships.
- They aimed to cripple the machinery of war, not simply broaden disdain for it.
- We have developing countries being crippled by debt, so we need a more value-led globalisation.
- News of the loan comes just days after prosecutors at his child sex-abuse trial claimed the singer has crippling debts of £155 million.
- With the county club faced with crippling debts there are reports that they may have to get rid of nine players when contracts are discussed in a few weeks' time.
sustantivodated or offensive Volver al principio
- Like so many other young British patricians, he was saved from becoming a complete emotional cripple by a tenderhearted nanny.
- Judy Garland turns out to be a complete emotional cripple who tries to seduce me.
- I thought you were supposed to drive them away and test them, and be really mean to them until they were emotional cripples and then they would never leave you.
The word cripple has long been in use to refer to ‘a person unable to walk through illness or disability’ and is recorded (in the Lindisfarne Gospels) as early as ad 950. In the 20th century the term acquired offensive connotations and has now been largely replaced by broader terms such as ‘disabled person’.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Efforts need to be made to bring down the rateable burden - it's a real crippler for young businesses.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The baht fell to half its previous price against the dollar, making foreign debt cripplingly expensive.
- Home ownership is a distant dream; starting a family seems cripplingly expensive.
- Either he's cripplingly shy, or afraid to get close to another human being.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.