Definición de cuckoo en inglés:
1A long-tailed, medium-sized bird, typically with a grey or brown back and barred or pale underparts. Many cuckoos lay their eggs in the nests of small songbirds.
- Family Cuculidae (the cuckoo family): numerous genera and species, especially the (Eurasian) cuckoo (Cuculus canorus), the male of which has a well-known two-note call. The cuckoo family also includes the coucals, roadrunners, malkohas, and anis
- It is an important wintering ground for European migratory birds such as the white stork, the lesser kestrel, the Eurasian golden oriole, the Eurasian cuckoo and other wading birds.
- The pheasant cuckoo is a bird that took Stauffer and me a succession of trips to locate.
- The wet season (mid-June to early October) is hot and humid and the best time for flowering plants, amphibians, reptiles and intra-African migrant birds such as cuckoos.
2 informal A mad person.
- Perhaps this explains that cuckoo '96 NBA offseason, which saw a handful of players land outrageous contracts.
- It sure didn't take new Portland coach Mo Cheeks long to pick up the company line on resident cuckoo Rasheed Wallace.
- If you honestly believe that had he been the prime minister, Britain would not have aided our closest ally the US in Iraq then I'm sorry, you're living in cuckoo land.
adjetivoinformal Volver al principio
Mad; crazy: people think you’re cuckoo
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Her anti-feminist manifesto is the final crazy coating on this already cuckoo confection.
- India's policy-makers must emerge from their cuckoo world of neo-liberal economics and corporate-driven politics.
- Any bad weather which came at the end of April or early May was dismissed as a mere cuckoo storm that would only last a day or two.
Middle English: from Old French cucu, imitative of its call.
cuckoo in the nest
- An unwelcome intruder in a place or situation.Example sentences
- But what once looked like a fledgling of which they might be proud has turned into a cuckoo in the nest.
- Where once Nato was about European protection, is it not now becoming the cuckoo in the nest of European ambitions?
- At first Deakin seemed a cuckoo in the Berry nest - what would later be called a class traitor.
Definición de cuckoo en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia