- 1 [mass noun] The action of cutting something: the cutting of the cake tax-cuttingMás ejemplos en oraciones
- At the conclusion of the service, members and guests returned to the headquarters for a traditional Australian BBQ and cutting of a commemorative cake.
- Just so everyone's clear: the most common forms of female genital cutting are not morally, or physically, analogous to genital piercing.
- As one who thinks that taxes are plenty high enough, on the rich as well as on everyone else, and that budgetary problems should be solved by budget cutting, it's time to go to work.
- 2 (often cuttings) A piece cut off from something, especially what remains when something is being trimmed or prepared: grass cuttingsMás ejemplos en oraciones
piece, bit, fragment, part; trimming
- In the interest of keeping our local cemetery neat and tidy you are asked not to discard old or withered wreaths, grass cuttings trimmings in the area.
- Instead of filling them up with grass cuttings, hedge trimmings and recyclable glass bottles and tin cans, the argument goes, we will separate those out for recycling so our normal bins won't fill up so quickly.
- Alternatively, grass cuttings, wood chip and compost can be used.
- 2.1British An article or other piece cut from a newspaper or periodical: an archive of newspaper cuttingsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Mixed with newspaper and magazine cuttings of photos and articles about the actress were real photos, taken by Brett or someone he knew, of Carla at various times in her life.
- The website has gathered together a wealth of archive material including photographs, recordings and newspaper cuttings from key strikes and campaigns.
- I show him his ‘girlfriends file’ from the archive, a selection of newspaper cuttings linking him to various women.
- 2.2A piece cut from a plant for propagation: take cuttings of Christmas cactus and pot them onMás ejemplos en oraciones
- For the rosarian, this may occur during greenhouse propagation of rose cuttings.
- Horticulturists at the facility have repeatedly failed to propagate the plant by cuttings or grafts.
- Raise new plants from seeds or cuttings, and by layering, and provide support with trellises, pergolas and other structures.
- 3British An open passage excavated through higher ground for a railway, road, or canal: they found the cutting and scrambled down the slopeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- These beautiful fish have been found in railway cuttings, brick pits and building sites across Sydney, particularly back in the days when excavations were done mostly by hand.
- Also in April, the French exploded mines under the German position held at Hill 60-in fact, a mound created from the rubbish cleared when a railway cutting was made.
- The money, which will be allocated over two years, will also provide viewpoints of canal cuttings and mooring points to encourage people on narrowboats to stop off in Hyndburn.
adjetivoVolver al principio
- 1Capable of cutting something: the cutting blades of the hedge trimmerMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Elsewhere in the city last Saturday, a double blade cutting machine and small drill were nicked from a van parked in Ballytruckle.
- On the scale of such things, a cutting blade doesn't seem any more intrusive into the body that a tattoo needle.
- He also had a cutting blade on the edge behind the tip to cut the hole, and the steel projection parallel with the spigot shaft was sharpened on its edge to smooth the cut hole as it penetrated the wood.
- 1.1(Of a comment) causing emotional pain; hurtful: a cutting remarkMás ejemplos en oraciones
hurtful, wounding, barbed, pointed, scathing, acerbic, mordant, trenchant, caustic, acid, abrasive, sarcastic, sardonic, snide, spiteful, malicious, mean, nasty, cruel, unkind, vicious, venomous, poisonous, vitriolic; North American acerbBritish • informal sarkyNorth American • informal snarky
- However, viewers may not see her cutting comment as she also gave an alternative answer to allow producers to edit out the remark.
- He is to appear as a modern-day Narad, armed with gizmos to spew cutting comments.
- First came a cutting comment, then a testy response, and suddenly it was on: La battle royale.
- 1.2(Of the wind) bitterly cold: cutting winter windsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- But, in spite of the bitter cold and the chill cutting wind, they turned their backs on me and stayed firmly in out of doors mode.
- When the cold cutting morning winds blow across his face, he remembers a time when he too rode a bicycle almost literally to his death.
- It was a sparky, hectic kind of game, divided as games in Fraher Field often are by a cutting wind blowing in from the bay.