A palm-like plant of tropical and subtropical regions, bearing large male or female cones. Cycads were abundant during the Triassic and Jurassic eras, but have since been in decline.
- Class Cycadopsida, subdivision Gymnospermae: twenty species in the genus Cycas and family Cycadaceae
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Modern cycads are tropical plants whose ancestors can be traced in the fossil record for about 300 million years.
- A few species of cycads still exist in tropical and sub-tropical regions today, and although they are used as ornamental plants some of them are facing possible extinction.
- Instead of ponderosa pines, the dominant plants were cycads, which resemble tree ferns.
Definición de cycad en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.