Definición de daisy en inglés:
sustantivo (plural daisies)
- Bellis perennis, family Compositae (or Asteraceae; the daisy family). The plants of this large family (known as composites) are distinguished by having composite flower heads consisting of numerous disc florets, ray florets, or both; they include many weeds (dandelions, thistles) and garden flowers (asters, chrysanthemums, dahlias)
- Yellow tulips and white daisies filled that patch, and different kinds of flowers surrounded the rest of the house.
- I gave a gasp as Justin came over with a bouquet of yellow and white daisies and a huge smile on his face.
- These two plants flower at the same time to give a display of tiny white and large yellow daisies for weeks at the end of the summer.
- The parks department created displays of autumn flowers, including chrysanthemums, Michaelmas daisies, and geraniums.
- This side is more like a meadow, dominated by longer grasses and a host of ox-eye daisies.
- This Shasta daisy, with its double blooms, is truly unique and fun with its fluffy look.
Old English dæges ēage 'day's eye' (because the flower opens in the morning and closes at night).
Daisies close at night and open again in the morning, revealing the yellow disc at their centre. This gives them their name, as daisy is a contraction of day's eye. Being dead and buried loses some of its solemnity and fear when you are under the daisies or are pushing up daisies. This light-hearted expression dates from the early 20th century, and the First World War poet Wilfred Owen ( 1893–1918) alludes to its use by soldiers in the trenches. Fresh as a daisy refers to the opening of the daisy in the morning, and to its welcome appearance in spring. It has been used by writers since at least the 14th century, when it appears in the works of the poet Geoffrey Chaucer ( c.1343–1400).
be (as) fresh as a daisy
- Be healthy and full of energy: you look fresh as a daisy!Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Although you probably didn't even notice I was gone, I'm home from my mountain getaway this week, fresh as a daisy from lots of sleep.
- Went to bed last night at 1: 30 am and woke up fresh as a daisy at 5 am.
- I was in bed by 8: 30 pm and awoke fresh as a daisy, all recuperated and ready to face the day shift.
be pushing up (the) daisies
- informal Be dead and buried: his heart condition will see him pushing up the daisies at a young ageMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I just hope you two find your peace before I'm pushing up daisies in Gate of Heaven.
- And he hasn't done that since May 2002, leading some to speculate that he's injured, plugged into a dialysis machine, or already pushing up the daisies.
- On this occasion we were told not to grieve because our friend would soon be pushing up the daisies.
Definición de daisy en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.