- Those who receive the mark, according to Scripture, are damned to eternal punishment.
- Mephistophilis is one of the angels who conspired with Lucifer and was damned to hell.
- If God was so loving why were people who committed suicide immediately damned to hell.
- Where the substance is glorified in this disc, the style, unfortunately, is damned.
- It was not the country that was damned but the settler who felt in his heart that he was damned.
- This isn't to say the project was damned, but rather the fact that it's more difficult to create a compelling work when it's based on music with no clear emotional ambit.
- One of his friends has recently been publicly damned for his recreational drug habits.
- These, then, are the ‘teenage tearaways’ demonised in sections of the press, and frequently damned by politicians seeking a cheap populist soundbite.
- Despite being damned as ‘failing’ as little as two years ago, the latest inspectors' report said conditions had been turned around by the prison's new governor.
- He felt the pain in the shoulder, where the arrow had hit him, and he damned his ship, his fate, the entire curse of his life.
- For one short moment I damned them, damned their eyes, and wished their farm machine a rapid and terminally rusty death.
- Weep, said the illustrious poet, for they are damned until mankind has lived for three several generations, perfectly in harmony, peace and love, without discord.
- I feel slightly better but my nose is still dripping… damn!
- I just lost today's post because of a Blogger problem - damn!
- Thought it was fine and dandy till it just struck me… damn!
- Then, what happened next shocked, angered, and confused him, which is a whole damn lot for a simple guy to be feeling all at once.
- All but two of the candidates have reasons to be damn frustrated.
- What the living hell am I doing in this damn silly job?
as near as damn it
- see dammit.Oraciones de ejemplo
- Still at the top of the class, or as near as damn it, when it comes to hitting greens in regulation, Monty's number of putts per round deteriorated from 74th best on the European Tour in 1999 to 130th last year.
- So much to do, so little time. I have, I confess, fallen behind on my unexpressed but firmly-made resolution to get something into this blog every day, or as near as damn it.
- It amounted, as near as damn it, to the sort of income tax hike that the party had specifically ruled out both in 1997 and again in the run-up to the 2001 election.
—— be damned
- Used to express defiance or rejection of someone or something previously mentioned: glory be damned!Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Strategy be damned because we do not have secret proceedings in this country.
- Since we haven't, we go with what we've got and do the best we can as human beings, doctrine be damned.
- Pop punk past be damned, there's now no questioning the authenticity of Neko's C&W efforts.
- British informal Nothing at all: there’s damn all you can do about itMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I haven't commented largely because, as anyone who reads my site will know, I know damn all about economics.
- There's just damn all on worth listening to between 2 and 5.
- Anyway, that's got damn all to do with anything.
damn someone/thing with faint praise
- Praise someone or something so unenthusiastically as to imply condemnation: it was a wretched review, damning poor Lisa with faint praiseMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In truth, she damns her idols with faint praise.
- It was generally a good experience for him, but he damns his teachers with faint praise; they were adequate, but uninspiring.
- He opens by damning the piece with faint praise, calling it ‘well-intentioned,’ possessing ‘merits of its own.’
I'm (or I'll be) damned if
- informal Used to express a strong negative: I’m damned if I knowMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Well you never know she may not be the criminal I think she is but I'll be damned if that's so.
- I already own more CDs than most other ‘regular’ people, and I'm damned if I'm gonna put up another shelf when the current one fills up.
- I'm sure when I started writing this there was going to be a point to it but I'm damned if I can remember what it is.
not be worth a damn
- informal Have no value at all: your evidence isn’t worth a damnMás ejemplos en oraciones
jot, whit, iota, rap, scrap, bit;one bit, even a little bit, the smallest amount, the tiniest bitinformal hoot, two hoots, tinker's cuss/curse, brass farthing
- Disconcertingly, he replied: ‘It wasn't worth a damn.’
- He said there was an emerging consensus in the media that a press council with no statutory recognition ‘isn't worth a damn ‘, but that a press council imposed from government would be a bad thing.’
- As a neutral you'd have to feel sorry for Waterford but in real terms reaching another All-Ireland semi-final and losing it isn't worth a damn to them.
not give (or care) a damn
well I'll be (or I'm) damned
- informal Used to express surprise: Well, I’ll be damned! What brings you here?Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Well I'm damned; you are quite right.
- Well, I'll be damned! What in tarnation are you doing in these parts?
Middle English: from Old French dam(p)ner, from Latin dam(p)nare 'inflict loss on', from damnum 'loss, damage'.
The word damn goes back to Latin damnare ‘to inflict loss on’. Originally to damn someone was to condemn them (a Middle English word from the same root), but associations with being condemned to hell have coloured much of the later history of the word. The desire to avoid profanity led to less offensive alternatives, such as darn, used since the 18th century. The older sense of ‘to condemn’ survives in the phrase to damn with faint praise, which was popularized by the 18th-century poet Alexander Pope in his ‘An Epistle to Dr Arbuthnot’.
Palabras que riman con damnam, Amsterdam, Assam, Bram, cam, cham, cheongsam, clam, cram, dam, drachm, dram, exam, femme, flam, gam, glam, gram, ham, jam, jamb, lam, lamb, mam, mesdames, Omar Khayyám, Pam, pram, pro-am, ram, Sam, scam, scram, sham, Siam, slam, Spam, swam, tam, tram, Vietnam, wham, yam
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: damn
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.