Definición de debt of honour en inglés:
1A debt that is not legally recoverable, especially a sum lost in gambling.
- He then turns to Bertram Wyatt-Brown's study of Southern Honor, which explains that in the antebellum South there were two kinds of debt, the business debt and the debt of honor.
- Traynor negotiated the deal whereby the £1.143 million debt was settled by a £750,00 payment, leaving £110,000 standing as the ‘debt of honour’ that was never repaid.
- Kerr involved his solicitors to try and extract his winnings from the bookmaker, even though gambling debts are not recoverable by legal means - since 1710 they have been classed as a debt of honour and cannot be taken before a court.
1.1A feeling of great gratitude: we owe a debt of honour to miners who have died from these terrible diseases
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- There is no doubt that we owe them a tremendous debt of honour that we should never forget.
- After the 1991 Gulf War a Tory MP said that the country owed British soldiers a debt of honour.
- And the Archbishop stressed that the war's victims were owed a debt of honour by political leaders.
Definición de debt of honour en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan