Definición de debt of honour en inglés:
1A debt that is not legally recoverable, especially a sum lost in gambling.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- He then turns to Bertram Wyatt-Brown's study of Southern Honor, which explains that in the antebellum South there were two kinds of debt, the business debt and the debt of honor.
- Traynor negotiated the deal whereby the £1.143 million debt was settled by a £750,00 payment, leaving £110,000 standing as the ‘debt of honour’ that was never repaid.
- Kerr involved his solicitors to try and extract his winnings from the bookmaker, even though gambling debts are not recoverable by legal means - since 1710 they have been classed as a debt of honour and cannot be taken before a court.
1.1A feeling of great gratitude: we owe a debt of honour to miners who have died from these terrible diseases
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- There is no doubt that we owe them a tremendous debt of honour that we should never forget.
- After the 1991 Gulf War a Tory MP said that the country owed British soldiers a debt of honour.
- And the Archbishop stressed that the war's victims were owed a debt of honour by political leaders.
Definición de debt of honour en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda