Pronunciación: /dɪˈkriːs /
Make or become smaller or fewer in size, amount, intensity, or degree: [no object]: the population of the area has decreased radically [with object]: the aisles were decreased in height
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- When fertility decreased, the garden would be abandoned and a new patch of land burnt for use.
- Russian security unilateralism would decrease; consultation would increase.
- Children from existing neighbourhoods will be affected by this catchment area decreasing.
lessen, grow/become less, grow/become smaller, reduce, drop, diminish, decline, dwindle, contract, shrink, fall off, die down; abate, subside, let up, tail off, ebb, wane, taper off, peter out, lighten; sink, slump, plummet, plungereduce, lessen, make less/fewer, lower, cut down/back (on), cut, curtail, contract, diminish, narrow, pare down, slim down, tone down, temper, weaken, deplete, minimize
Pronunciación: /ˈdiːkriːs /Volver al principio
An instance of becoming smaller or fewer: a decrease in births [mass noun]: the rate of decrease became greater
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Interest rates on banking credits are expected to fall with the decrease in the basic interest rate.
- Then came the economic downturn and a sharp decrease in the numbers venturing onto the slopes.
- The capital encountered severe drought this year due to a sharp decrease in rainfall.
late Middle English: from Old French decreis (noun), decreistre (verb), based on Latin decrescere, from de- 'down' + crescere 'grow'.
on the decrease
- Becoming less common or widespread; decreasing: marriage is on the decreaseMás ejemplos en oraciones
- With inflation set to fall even further from an all time low of 1.9% in December for once the trend may just show the graph on the decrease rather than on an ever increasing curve.
- The total investment however, has been steadily on the decrease since the economic crisis hit the country in the middle of 1997.
- Such being the case, it is not exaggerating to say that the number of applicants for the doctoral degree is on the decrease in Korea.
- [as submodifier]: voters have proved decreasingly willing to support the partyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- With decreasingly few exceptions, media is supported by advertising.
- Changes in urban areas have resulted in a decreasingly child-friendly environment.
- Dynamic debates within higher education were increasingly Africa-oriented and Africa-focused and decreasingly driven by the disciplines and discourses of their overseas counterparts.