Definición de deme en inglés:
1A political division of Attica in ancient Greece.
- The Peloponnesian army under King Archidamus reached the borders of Attica and encamped at the deme of Acharnae.
- Life Xenophon, son of Gryllus, from the Athenian deme (rural district) of Erchia, was born into a wealthy but politically inactive family around 430 BC.
- Two portraits of Socrates frame the Symposium, one painted by Aristodemus, the good thief, the best of the deme, the other by Alcibiades, the bad thief.
2 Biology A subdivision of a population consisting of closely related plants, animals, or people, typically breeding mainly within the group.
- We have studied different aspects of DNA sequence polymorphism within a single deme drawn from a population that has experienced a range expansion.
- Several of these still capture the essence of island-model subdivision, that is, greater relatedness within than between demes, while others collapse to the unstructured case.
- The effect of genetic hitchhiking on neutral variation is analyzed in subdivided populations with differentiated demes.
Definición de deme en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary