verbo (demits, demitting, demitted)[with object] formal
Resign from (an office or position): arguments within his congregation led to his demitting his post
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He said he had been saying for some time that he would like to vacate the leadership of the party and on demitting office, sign the nomination papers of the new leader.
- Responding to criticism about his performance and calls for him to demit office, Joseph told his audience, which included the Deputy Commissioner of Police, ‘People may say all kinds of things.’
- Smidt was told that his departure was because his name was on a list of rotating directors-general who had to demit office at a certain point.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Mary's demission or abdication was the effective confirmation of the 1560 settlement.
- ‘I will abdicate as king once the Throne Council with its full members are to receive my official letter offering my formal demission of my function as a king,’ he said in a message posted on his website.
- The so-called first trial of 1568 was essentially about the legality of the demission.
Early 16th century (in the sense 'dismiss'): from French démettre, from dé- 'away from' + mettre 'put'.
Palabras que riman con demitacquit, admit, backlit, bedsit, befit, bit, Brit, Britt, chit, commit, dit, emit, fit, flit, frit, git, grit, hit, intermit, it, kit, knit, legit, lickety-split, lit, manumit, mishit, mitt, nit, omit, outsit, outwit, permit, pit, Pitt, pretermit, quit, remit, retrofit, sit, skit, slit, snit, spit, split, sprit, squit, submit, transmit, twit, whit, wit, writ, zit
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: demit
Definición de demit en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda