Definición de demonology en inglés:
sustantivo (plural demonologies)[mass noun]
1The study of demons or demonic belief.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- When I told my mom I was studying demonology, she almost had a fit.
- The belief in mental illness, as something other than man's trouble in getting along with his fellow man, is the proper heir to the belief in demonology and witchcraft.
- While demonology may be the most dramatic, mediumship is also a form of necromancy, as is divination, which employs the use of spirit guides.
1.1A set of beliefs about people or things regarded as harmful or unwelcome: he was public enemy number one in the demonology of the Australian right wing
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- This subtly points to our own construction of people as demons or our internalisation of demonologies without paying heed to the subterranean layers of history and folklore.
- However, as one reviewer put it, such popular demonologies seem able to survive any amount of exorcism.
- Almost all the demonologies of the 1400s and early 1500s were written by inquisitors, who often refer to witch trials that they or other inquisitors conducted.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- To follow the demonological literature, devils were perfectly capable of invading artworks, especially statues, making their lifeless bodies, like artificial cadavers, begin to move and speak.
- Many other trial records evidently contain allusions to fairies which have been cloaked with demonological definition, however only those which contain direct references to fairies will be used as evidence of popular fairy belief.
- One would have to be suspicious of any attempt to describe general attitudes whose sources came exclusively from the clerical world and the authors of demonological works.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- This is the second year that the Vatican has offered a course for aspiring demonologists and exorcists.
- In brief, Yates spends a deal of time defending the Elizabethan magician Dr Dee against charges of being a demonologist.
- Such beliefs often stemmed from Paracelsian doctrines of spirits, through which fairies came to be elected honorary servants to magicians, and that may be how demonologists began identifying them as devils.
Definición de demonology en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda