Express contempt for; ridicule: the decision was derided by environmentalists
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- So I didn't ridicule or deride contributions, and published most emails critical of me, my style, and my substance.
- It has been derided by some critics as straying too far from historical fact in order to show a well-polished fiction.
- Scotland's newest soap opera has had a shaky start, derided by the critics for its wooden scripts and dull characters.
ridicule, mock, jeer at, scoff at, jibe at, make fun of, poke fun at, laugh at, hold up to ridicule, pillory; disdain, disparage, denigrate, pooh-pooh, dismiss, slight, detract from; sneer at, scorn, pour/heap scorn on, taunt, insult, torment; treat with contempt, vilify; lampoon, satirize
informal knock, take the mickey out of
Australian/New Zealand informal poke mullock at
vulgar slang take the piss out of
mid 16th century: from Latin deridere 'scoff at'.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- His nationalism was as expansive as his cosmopolitanism, and he railed in equal measure against the narrowness of native deriders of Scotland and the shallowness of Anglophobia.
- Why does the man of understanding not respond to the derider? Because the derider will turn his derision on him or continue the original derision against him.